Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cell Phones

In 1997 I joined an estimated 34 million Americans as a cell phone user. I don't remember the specific model but is was a Motorola analog cell phone that predated the StarTac phone that Motorola touted as the first "wearable" cell phone. The phone had the dimensions of a Windows CE PDA (another reference to an outdated technology). I used the phone occasionally, and when my contract expired I packed it away in drawer.

Today cell phones are no longer just "phones". A quick glance through a cellular provider's website details that you have choices of phones in categories such as "camera phones", "music phones", and "smartphones". Some cellular providers are also touting that users can watch videos on their cell phones. In the February 2007 edition of the magazine FastCompany, it was estimated that in 5 to 10 years cell phones that remote control home lights, garage doors, or the thermostat will be as common as camera phones. The same article speculated that in 4 to 7 years cell phones that work like MasterCard's paypass system will be as prevalent as camera phones.

Over the last year, I've uncovered the convenience of SMS messaging with my cell phone. My little sister has been texting with her phone for several years, and today this is probably the best method to touch base with her. My wife is also uncovered the world of texting. My own experience with texting is only palatable simply because I have an actual keyboard on my Treo. If I had to use the key pad, I'm certain that I would not use SMS messaging to the extent I do today.

Recently my wife decided she wanted a new cell phone and one that was pink. So I began the search for an appropriate replacement for her current phone. With all the options available, I've found that choice of color is less likely than getting one with a camera and MP3 player. The other thing is that best option is to get one in conjunction with a 2 year service plan. Other wise you're forking over $150+ for a phone. Talk about a scam. It's almost as bad as the fact that the cell phones available today will not be available in a year from now.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

If she wants to switch to Sprint they have a free pink phone... with a 2 yr contract of course.