Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Vacation Days

One of the benefits for working for my current employer is that I get a ton of vacation days. Because if my tenure, I currently garner 120 hours of vacation a week. Three whole weeks, pretty nice. I also have the luxury of carrying over 80 hours of vacation from one year to the next. The first couple of years I quickly accumulated the 80 hours to carry from one year to the next. So now I'm faced with having to consume those 120 hours of vacation, otherwise I will loose them. Over the last couple of years this has posed a problem.

For me to take a vacation day, my preference would be to leave town. Here in lies the rub. Typically out-of-town trips the family takes are usually during the summer months, when schools aren't in session. Summer time is also the busiest time of year for my vocation, so to take three weeks off is unlikely. When I first started with my current employer, I typically could use up vacation during the week between Christmas and New Years. Several years ago my employer chose to eliminate this week in an effort to reduce overhead costs (lighting, heating, etc) and provided this week as holiday leave. This year my employer chose to do a similar thing with the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, again another day I typically take as vacation. So now I have less days in which to account against my vacation days.

I'm sure many do not feel the predicament I am in. My own brother-in-law is one who doesn't have the same number of available vacation days, and so was very stingy with his allotment since he had a new baby due this year. To compound my vacation day situation, I have like five months worth of six days. So when my bride had our kids, I simply counted these as "family sick" days and it didn't impact my vacation allowance.

My bride often tells me that I should just take a couple days off and go fishing or something. Given the fact we have one car and the cost of gasoline is averaging $3 a gallon, even this advice is falling on deaf ears. Of course her response is that she could simply provide me with enough "honey-dos" to consume my available vacation distribution. Again, not something I'd like to do on a day off.

I am thankful I have the availability to use vacation and the liberty to take it when I want, but finding the right fit of purpose and timing is what complicates the equation for me. I hate to loose these days, but I also would hate to waste the wonderful opportunity of a day way from the job. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, and just need to take a day of vacation to put it all into proper perspective.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Robert is going duck hunting Sat if you want to get away! Not that that helps you with your vacation predicament, but he says it's fun!