Thursday, February 22, 2007

Amazng Mind

Next week I have several coworkers heading out to Searcy, Arkansas for a conference. This afternoon I was looking over the shoulder of one of the conference goers as he attempted to determine where he was going, and how he should get there. As he google mapped Searcy, I began to tell him what I remembered of Searcy. It's been over 25 years since I lived there, but looking over the map, I quickly began noting landmarks that I remembered. The house on Virgil street next to the old cemetery. Riding bikes in the parking lot of the Downtown church, which really wasn't downtown. Walking down Grand street with my dad on Saturday mornings from the apartments on Race street to the campus post office. The Kroger where we used to take glass soda bottles for the ten cent refund. The two screen movie theater on the main square where I saw Star Wars.

Despite the fact that I was less than ten years old, all these memories are so vivid. It is just amazing how clear the mind can hold onto and then play back. It may not be in high definition, and sometimes the memories can be jumbled, as if the frames have been placed out of sequence, for the most part it is accurate. I may forget the honey-doos that my bride has requested ten minutes ago, but tripping down memory lane seems to come so easily. It makes me scratch my head and marvel at how incredibly amazing is the technology that we struggle to artificially recreate with RAM and CPU power.

No comments: