Friday, April 25, 2008

"Don't cross the beams"


Do you remember the movie Ghostbusters from 1984? There's a conversation that occurs between Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd as they check out their proton-packs for their first gig at the Sedgewick Hotel. In that exchange the Ghostbusters are informed that crossing the beams of their proto-packs is bad.

In many sense, I find that crossing my vocation and family is bad. I'm not sure how lawyers, pastors, accountants, and nuclear physicists handle this, but for a technologist like myself I don't enjoy spending a day at the office solving computer network issues only to be greeted by my wife and kids upon returning home that the computer isn't working.

This past week, my lovely bride had a printing issue. So reluctantly I took a look. After losing an hour of my evening removing drivers and rebooting her laptop countless times, I finally hand her the laptop and the her desired print out. Needless to say my attitude after this heroic battle between myself, our HP deskjet 4200, and her Dell laptop with Vista (insert a "groan") is sour. I quickly retire to the front porch to bask in the freshly rained environment to collect myself and recenter my attitude.

On the porch, I ask myself whether other professionals find themselves in similar situations. Do accountants come home to balance their own check books? Do lawyers come home to review their personal contracts and ponder litigation aspects of their homeowner's associations? Do chefs come home to prepare an elaborate meal for the wife and kids?

I'm sure the answer to all these is yes, and I should be thankful that we aren't shoveling out $75/hour to the Geek Squad.

No comments: