Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover


Maybe you have driven by what some would label a "dive" and curiosity caught hold of you to the point that against your better judgment you stopped to check it out. If this is the case, I applaud you.

In a recent trip to the Hill Country of Texas my beautiful bride and I were on a search for an evening experience. Having completed an afternoon of wine tasting, I pulled out the crackberry and performed a google search for "steak fredericksburg texas". One resulting eatery was closed that Sunday evening, so we searched again and came up with a placed called "Hill Top Cafe". A quick call to verify they were open and we were on our way uncertain what to expect. A short drive up Hwy 87 we came to the crossroad of FM648 to an old fillin station. It's the only building for several miles and definitely the only neon lit. To be honest, the placed looked like the definition of a dive and we were a bit anxious as we entered the establishment. The greeting by the staff was friendly and the other patrons didn't look deathly ill. So we sat and were directed to a chalkboard above our table that listed the specials. What caught my wife's eye was crab meat covered flat steak.

The decor was eclectic to say the least, and I swear I saw the final destination of an early 1970's kitchen table my folks had when I was a kid. Even the chairs adjoining this particular table were metal and vinyl. The ceiling was covered with old concert posters from blues and swing acts that I've only seen on the Texas Country Reporter.

Surprising to us, the food was more than we could have dreamed of. The steaks were prepared to perfection and the portions were rightly sized. The fact their desert list was paired back to only pecan pie because they were out of bread pudding, should have told us that this was a popular place. It was only after we left did we realize that this eatery in the middle of nowhere was infamous, featured in Texas Monthly, Southern Living, and Country Home.

So let me add my own recommendation. The Hill Top Cafe is a must see, eat, and enjoy. Come in for the food and leave filled and enriched by the conversation, decor, and Texas hospitality at its best. Who ever said, don't judge a book by it's cover, could have been talking about this cafe on the hill.

No comments: