Monday, May 19, 2008

Bunko

This evening my wife hosted her Bunko group at our house. As occurs each time my bride hosts Bunko, I exit stage left with the kids in tow to give her full reign for her gathering. However, for the last couple of weeks the entire family has been in Bunko preparation mode.

My lovely bride decided she wanted to have Bunko outside since it's been so nice the last couple of weeks. Mind you, today we knocked at the door of the century mark, but none the less she was convicted to have the group outside for their event. So the family focused on sprucing up the yard. We trimmed bushes, evacuated weeds from the flower beds, laid mulch in various flower beds, edged the lawn, even sprayed some bug repellent over the whole yard. I broke out the clear Christmas lights to created a lighted canopy around a section of the yard to create some ambiance.

My wife and our son made various treats today for the party, and we cleaned the house from head to toe. My middle child questioned all the activity last night when she was instructed to pick up her room. Her rational was that if the party was outdoors, why then did she have to clean her room. Mother's rebuttal was that those destined for the bathroom would have the chance of observing the child's room. Needless to say our middle child was not too happy with this line of thinking, as she complied with the request.

It strikes me as neat how the family pulls together for each other. Although myself and our three little ones did not get the fully enjoy the preparations, we still provided assistance and input. The kids assisted in planting flowers, and ensuring everything was properly arranged. I did my part in mowing the lawn, hanging lights, and even spraying the yard last night at 10pm. All our efforts were afford so that mom could have a successful party. As the last guest left and the last card table was broken down, the smile on my bride's face was payment for all the energies the family had expended. Her pride shown not merely in the visual affects she had so carefully crafted, but I believe it was also in the manner in which the family came together for her benefit.

No comments: