Thursday, May 1, 2008

Checking the Schedule for a Night Home

I can remember, when my first child was a baby, that my wife and I rarely left the house. Maybe part of that was the simple fact we were new parents and were entirely confident in running around town with a little baby. During that time, we could watch a whole session of television shows as they originally aired.

Now our schedules are packed with evening activities, and it's a rare occurrence when we find ourselves at home, together, for an evening. For example, this week I've not spent a single night at home. Monday night I had a business dinner. Tuesday night the girls had gymnastics. Wednesday night I was driving back home from a business trip to Dallas, where upon arriving I headed straight to church. Thursday night I had a monthly poker game with some buddies. Saturday night we are schedule to have a family dinner to celebrate my brother's birthday. Sunday night we have our monthly Shepherding group. As of right now, it appears that Friday night will be my only night home for the week.

It's pretty amazing to me the contrast between now and when we were young and inexperienced parents. It's also pretty striking how jammed packed our lives have become. I shudder to think how what our schedules will look like once my children start middle school.

No comments: